"FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION IN POLITICAL SPEECH" Online event, Geneva | 28-29 April 2022
This online event, organized with the support of the Council of Europe, will discuss the specificities of the exercise of the freedom of expression in political speech. Is it broader or more constrained than the freedom of expression of ordinary citizens?
HOW TO ASSESS AND JUSTIFY THE EFFECTS ON A DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY OF LIMITATIONS ON FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION IN POLITICAL SPEECH?
How to assess the proportionality of the sanctions that can be imposed? How can the impact on freedom of expression and the functioning of democratic institutions of the use of criminal or civil prosecution of politicians be assessed? Could we consider a more constructive alternative to legal sanctions?
▪ Professor Yuliya Kaspiarovich University of Groningen
▪ Jeroen Schokkenbroek Director Anti-Discrimination Directorate(incl. fight against hate speech), DG II, CoE
▪ Dr. Elina Steinerte President of Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, UN
▪ Professor Dr. Robert Müller-Török University of Ludwigsburg
▪ Professor Joaquin Pablo Urías Martínez, Constitutional Law, University of Sevilla